Monday, February 9, 2009

curious celebrations in People's park



Erin, Nathan and I wandered around Chengdu a few days ago and went to the People's Park near our hotel. It was a little unclear what exactly was going on (which is the norm), but it seemed like there was a celebration underway specifically for older people in Tianjin. There were a number of different bands performing, and older Chinese citizens dancing and doing their exercises (those two things sometimes go hand in hand). I took a few videos, but these don't do the situation justice. I've decided I like the Sichuan people. I've been trying to learn more about the history of this province, and what I've learned so far only increases my affection for this part of China.



1 comment:

Dr. Nancy Champion Cartwright said...

Isn't it amazing that certain people strike a connecting chord in your heart? I can almost feel the love you have for the region and people. That's it. When, (notice I didn't say IF), I get to visit China I am sure that Sichuan culture will be a must for me. It must be the influence of Tu Fu. Enjoy the flow and joy you are experiencing on this trip. The entire trip is a "continuous celebration"--just like People's Park.